Our society was founded by Murray Williams in 1937. Based on the earlier Christchurch Deaf Club, he envisaged Auckland Deaf Society as a place for Auckland’s Deaf Community to meet and share their experiences.
After first meeting in an old shop in Parnell Road, growing numbers saw us move to the Auckland Motorcycle club in 1938. More moves followed as membership continued to grow.
In 1953, Friends of the Deaf was formed to raise funds for new clubrooms. After extensive fundraising involving both Deaf and hearing people, the Balmoral Road premises were purchased in 1954 where the current clubrooms are still located today.
After redevelopment of the site, new clubrooms were built and officially opened in 2007.
In 2011, members of the Auckland Deaf Society voted to establish a trust to look after its properties and investments, and the Auckland Deaf Society Foundation Trust was formed in 2012.
The Auckland Deaf Society continues to grow and develop its role as a hub for Auckland’s Deaf community.